Gedcomtune is used to calculate the ideal weights and similarities for the main gedcom package.
It works by comparing two GEDCOM files that are mostly the same, but must have the same pointers for individuals. It uses tries to calculate the best values that would lead the Similarity functions to the highest number of matches (which are confirmed by the individual pointers).
The process works like this:
1. Load the two GEDCOM files.
2. Set predefined or random values for weightings.
3. Match the two files. One point is awarded to a successful match and one point is removed for each unsuccessful match.
4. Steps 2 and 3 are repeated many more times with different weightings.
5. The weighting values that scored the highest points are returned.